WHO WE ARE
THE PLAYFUL PAWS STORY
Megs Hopman is a nationally accredited Dog Trainer with 10 years Animal Behavioural experience
Hi, I’m Megs Hopman – Founder of Playful Paws: Training & Wellness (Playful Paws).
Through professional and personal experience, I’ve developed an appreciation for individuality. I understand that every dog, or person, is different – and it’s important for an Animal Behavioural Specialist to develop a training plan around this individuality.
I love meeting new people, and their fur best friend, and finding how to bring out the best in each partnership. The saying ‘dogs are like their owners’ doesn’t fall too short from me.
My best experience and teacher has been my first personal pet – Buddy.
He lives with anxiety, as do I. Buddy has taught me to be calm, relaxed and of course fun! Over the years Buddy and I have transformed our anxiety and along the way I discovered a genuine passion for helping people. Through Animal Assisted Therapy, I enjoy helping people navigate those difficult times with the unconditional love of their fur best friend.
Playful Paws offers a personal and fun way to train your best friend how you want. I can come to you at home, for those problem behaviours that only seem to happen at home. I deliver fun, family-friendly classes that are small and intimate so you can get the most out of my experience. I also visit work places, assist in training companion animals and work actively in the community with awareness around dog behaviour.
- Currently studying Certificate IV in Training & Education (TAE)
- Bachelor of Animal Science (LaTrobe University)
- Certificate III in Companion Animal Behaviour and Training (National Dog Training Federation)
- Certificate IV in Disability
- Current Working With Children Check (Victoria & Western Australia)
- Current Level 2 First Aid Certificate
- I am a nationally accredited Dog Trainer with ten years experience in training pet dogs and Seeing Eye Dogs (individually and in a group setting), assessing behaviour and implementing modification plans.
- As a Disability Support Worker with twelve years experience, I am confident working with people who have a physical, behavioural or mental disability.
- Whilst with Seeing Eye Dogs Australia, I successfully developed a puppy training program from conception in Perth WA. This involved supporting up to 20 volunteers and 12 puppies at any time. I also completed an internal ‘Puppy Development Field Officer’ trainee course which broadened my knowledge of the developmental stages of puppies and different ways to deal with problem behaviour.
- Undertaking puppy assessments and implementing individual behavioural training programs
- Extensive knowledge of health and behavioural aspects of a broad range of breeds
- Providing support and guidance to culturally diverse people
- Coaching volunteers and staff to achieve their goals
- Vast knowledge and understanding of team work and people skills
- Increased understanding of various disabilities, how they affect behaviour and implementing appropriate behaviour support plans
Happiness is coming home and knowing your dog is there to greet you.
Playful Paws offers a personal and fun way to train your best friend how you want. I can come to you at home, for those difficult problems that only seem to happen at home! I deliver fun, family-friendly classes that are small and intimate so you can get the most out of her experience. I also visit work places, assist in training companion animals and work actively in the community with awareness around dog behaviour.